Not the snappiest title we’ve ever come up with, but it is at least precise.
We’ve been making this brunch for years now. In fact it’s such a staple, that when CB announced we were going to make it for the blog this time, the words ‘early onset alzheimers’ were on the tip of my tongue until I realised that we’ve never actually shared it. This really is such an easy recipe, don’t delay any further!
Preparing the meal on this occasion got off to an incendiary start when the Tesco delivery man consigned to our kitchen counter the puniest avocado we’d ever seen. CB had the face of a smacked arse: being cheated by a per-item pricing structure?! NOT TODAY, SATAN.
After some calm and measured words had been exchanged with the contact centre (if I had a penny for each time the phrase “value for money framework” was uttered..), we got on with our lives.
Avocado Smash, Hot Smoked Salmon and Poached Egg on Toast
- 4 slices olive bread (or fresh bread of your choice)
- 1 medium avocado (peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped)
- Juice of quarter lemon (more to taste)
- 1 fillet hot smoked salmon (skin removed)
- 2 eggs – also great without the eggs
- salt & pepper
- Turn on the grill in preparation for the toast.
- On the hob, bring a saucepan of water to the boil in preparation for the poached eggs.
- Add the avocado into a bowl and add the lemon juice. Using the back of a fork, break down the avocado until it’s a guacamole-like consistency. Season generously with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Flake the salmon fillet.
- Lightly toast the bread under the grill. As the toast is nearly ready, start poaching the eggs. At this point I’ll admit that we’ve never successfully poached eggs in the proper way and we just cheat with the little silicon poachers. So I’m not about to advise on how long your poaching will take. God speed and stay away from the vinegar
- While the egg is poaching, assemble the toast. Start with butter/spread (if you fancy – the answer is avocado is fatty enough as a spread but I don’t know the meaning of a non-indulgent brunch), then a layer of avocado smash, followed by the flaked salmon. Top with the poached egg. Season to taste. Devour. If enjoying with friends, would recommend a mimosa.