A couple of weeks ago, we experienced some truly sublime weather here in London. Unfortunately, we were here in London.
For those of you who have the pleasure of living in this global city, you’ll understand how you’ll sometimes do anything to feel like you’re living in a tropical beach-side haven and not at the sweaty end of the Northern Line. For me this includes (but is not limited to) extended reveries about taking up permanent residence on the Mexican Riviera, propping myself up on my desk in front of my fan and imagining it’s a cooling sea breeze and, of course, cooking CB and I into paradise.
This past August bank holiday weekend brought some of the best weather we’ve seen this summer and for once we were out and about and not in work and so the only natural option was to make fish tacos. Obviously.
Fishcake Wraps with Mango Salsa
Fresh fish is better for this, although we have tried it with frozen fish too. Just remember that frozen fish retains a lot of water and you’ll need to squeeze this out of the combined fishcake mixture before making the patties. Tbh I wouldn’t recommend this.
For the yoghurt we tend to make a bit extra when making our lovely Turkish-style brunch and use that here. Alternatives like tzatziki or even natural yoghurt swirled through with a bit of cumin, lime zest and ground cumin would do the trick too.
- 450g cod fillets (or similar white fish), skin removed and cut into rough chunks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- zest 3 limes
- 3/4 tsp salt
- small bunch coriander, leaves finely chopped
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- ½ red onion
- 1 mango
- 1 red chilli
- 4 tortillas
- 8 tbsp herbed yoghurt (see recipe), or tzatziki
- Add all of the fishcake ingredients up to the coriander into a food processor and blitz briefly. Add the paste into a bowl and stir through half of the coriander leaves.
- Mould the mixture into 4 fishcake patties and put in the fridge for 15 mins just so they firm up a bit.
- While you’re waiting on the fishcakes, assemble the salsa. Finely dice the red onion, cut the mango into small pieces, and deseed and finely dice the chilli. Combine in a bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat. Fry the patties for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with kitchen roll.
- Now to build your wrap. Lay out your tortilla and add 2 tbsp yoghurt, a fishcake (chopped in half), a dollop of salsa, and a sprinkling of the remaining coriander leaves.